So here's the basic skeleton for the Lost character. Since she will be moving sort of like a mermaid, I just rigged her legs as one mass. I will still have IK chains for the leg(s) as well as for the arms.
For the cloth, I think I've just made a breakthrough. I need to test it to see if it works, though.
I just learned that you can link locators to vertexes in Maya. If I can do that, then link the bones to the locators, and then run the cloth sim, I can get that animation info onto the bones. I would need to somehow save that animation and re-aply it onto a copy of the skinned model without the locators.